There is a story told about a dog who discovered that happiness was in his tail. He kept trying over and over to get it, but all he could do was run around in circles. Exhausted and frustrated with this endless pursuit, he eventually stopped. And then he discovered that if he would just go on about his life, it would follow him wherever he went.
Isn't that the truth? I can completely relate to that dog, as I'm sure you can, too. You can't chase happiness, you can't try to hold it in your hands and you certainly can't make happiness for someone else. As much as relentless pursuit is fitting and called for in many areas of life, when it comes to happiness... The more one tries to chase it, find it, hold it, or create it, the more elusive it becomes... Because, really, happiness is being present. Dwelling on the past or focusing on the future only distract you from what is going on in your life right now, and how can you be happy if you're unable to actively participate in your life at this moment? I guess we should stop trying to get happiness and just be happy.
Blessing #15: Cell phone ringtones
I warned these would not always be particularly deep or inspiring... I am so blessed. With the advent of actual song clips as ringtones, one does not have to settle for a series of computerized beeps and blips to alert a phone call, message, or alarm. I am particularly thankful for this in the morning. I use my cell phone alarm to wake me up so that I do not have to be jolted out of peaceful slumber by an obnoxious beep beep beep! Rather, I am gently lured from my dreams by Bach's Minuet in G. Mmmmmmm... how lovely. A small blessing that really sets the tone for my day.
Don't forget to count your blessings.
Much love. ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment