Wednesday, September 30
Flipping the pencil
No one can go back and make a brand new start.
Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
As I watch my students write during our Writer's Workshop in the morning, I constantly remind them not to waste their time erasing. The last couple of days I have been thinking about how that applies to life, and in particular my life right now. I shouldn't waste my time trying to erase things that have already been written in my life-story. Rather, I should spend my time focusing on what is happening right now so that I do not lose track of where I want to go eventually. Going back and trying to erase something that has already passed distracts my focus from what I'm doing right now and from thinking about were I want to end up. I need to flip my pencil around and keep on living instead of constantly stopping.
Blessing # 17: Silent Bear
I am so blessed... We played the most simple, engaging and downright fun game in my classroom today! In a variation of "Silent Ball," we played "Quiet Bear." My students and I stand in a circle, and I start with the teddy bear. The point of the game is to throw the bear from student to student without talking or saying out loud who we are going to throw it to. The students must be absolutely silent and watch the person with the bear; the thrower must make and maintain eye contact with the person they want to catch the teddy bear. If you talk or drop the teddy bear, you have to sit down. I was shocked at how quiet they were! At the end of the game, there were 3 students left standing with me. Interestingly enough, those are the three quietest, most reserved students in my class. I took the opportunity to talk to the kids after the game about how eye contact is an important part of paying attention to someone. The entire rest of the day, they were constantly staring me down and watching my every move. I love teachable moments!
Don't forget to count your blessings.
Much love ♥
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment